NTSE 2017 Syllabus
National Talent Scholarship Examination (NTSE) is a national level examination. NTSE exam will be Pen and Paper based. The syllabus of NTSE 2017 will primarily be based on the 10+2 curriculum of NCERT. The candidates should have knowledge about all the topics, number of questions, marking scheme and the total duration of the paper.
- NTSE is conducted in two stages. Only the candidates who qualify the first stage will appear in the stage 2.
- Stage 1 is a State/UT level test which will be held in two parts, viz MAT and SAT (Language Test) in the first part and SAT (Mathematics, Science and Social Science) in the second partof 90 minutes duration of both the parts.
- The syllabus includes various topics from different subjects such as English, General Knowledge, Mental Ability, Science, Mathematics and Social Science which are mentioned in detail on this page further.
NTSE 2017 Exam Pattern for Stage-I
Stage 1 is conducted at state/UT level by the concerned authority of State/UT.
- Candidates need to choose one language i.e. English or Hindi to solve the exam.
- Every correct answer will help you earn 1 mark. There will not be any negative marking at this stage.
- This paper will be divided into two parts, each of them for 90 minutes of time duration.
- Part 1- (Mental Ability Test)MAT
- It contains analytical and logical reasoning based questions.
- It checks the ability to think, evaluate discriminate and visualize andreasoning of a candidate.
- There will be 50 questions in total for 50 marks with time duration of 45 minutes.
- There will be questions from analogies, series, classification, pattern perception, coding decoding, hidden figures and problem solving.
- Part 2- (Scholastic Aptitude Test)SAT
- It contains 150 questions from Language and Science, mathematics and Social Science.
- It will judge the candidate’s ability to read, interpret, evaluate and general awareness of the subjects.
|Test||No. Of Questions||Maximum Marks||Time Allotted|
|MAT||50 Questions||50 Marks||45 minutes|
|SAT – Language Test||50 Questions||50 Marks||45 minutes|
|SAT – Mathematics, Science, Social Sciences||100 Questions||100 Marks||90 minutes|
NTSE 2017 Exam Pattern for Stage 2
This stage will be conducted at the National Level by the NCERTwhere only the shortlisted candidates from the state level exam will appear to compete for scholarship.
- It will be divided into two parts MAT and SAT, like it was in stage 1.
- There will be negative marking of 1/3 marks on every wrong answer marked by the candidate.
- The total time duration of this test will be of 135 minutes.
NTSE 2017 Exam Syllabus
The prescribed 10+2 curriculum of NCERT is mentioned below.
NTSE Mathematics Syllabus
There are 22 chapters to be covered in the NTSE 2017 Mathematics Syllabus.
The syllabus includes topics from class 6 to 10. In NTSE, Mathematics section contains around 30 questions.
|Algebraic Expressions||Arithmetic||Arithmetic Progressions|
|Basic Geometry||Circles||Coordinate Geometry|
|Direct& Inverse Variations||Exponent||Linear Equation|
|Mensuration||Number System||Percentage& Its Application|
|Playing with Number||Probability||Quadratic Equations|
|Rational Numbers||Simple & Compound Interest||Square & Cube Roots|
|Statistics||Surface Areas and Volume||Triangles|
NTSE Science Syllabus
There are 29 chapters to be covered in the NTSE 2017 Science Syllabus.
- The syllabus includes topics from class 6 to 10 and subjects included are Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- In NTSE, this section contains around 35 questions.
|Acid Bases and Salts||Air||Carbon and its Compound|
|Cellular Level of Organization||Diversity in Living organisms||Fibres and Plastics|
|Food Production &Management||Heredity and Evolution||Human Body|
|Life Processes||Light||Magnetic & Electricity at Work|
|Measurement||Metals & Non-Metals||Micro-Organisms|
|Motion and Force||Our Environment||Periodic Classification of Elements|
|Reproduction||Soil||Some Common Diseases|
|Sound||Sound of Energy||Structure of Atom|
|The Universe||Water||Work and Energy|
NTSE Social Science
There are 43 chapters to be covered in the NTSE 2017 Social Science Syllabus.
- The syllabus will include topics from class 8 to 10 and subjects included are History, Civics, Geography, Economics and General Awareness.
- In NTSE, Social Science section contains around 35 questions.
|British raj||Culture, Science and Literature||Democracy and Elections|
|Diversity and Livelihood||Early Medieval Period||Early States|
|Eighteen Century Political Formation||French Revolution||India and Its Neighbors|
|Indian Constitution||Indian Economics||Indian Freedom Struggle|
|Indus Valley Civilization||Industrial Revolution||Industries|
|Internal Structure of the Earth and Rocks||Introduction and Sources of Ancient Indian History||Jainism, Buddhism and Conquerors from Distant Lands|
|Local and State Government||Medieval Architecture and Culture||Motion of the Earth|
|Nationalism in Various Countries||Natural Vegetation||New Empires and Kingdoms|
|Our Country- India||Popular Movements and Social Reforms||Population|
|Resources and Development||Solar System||The Delhi Sultanate|
|The Judiciary||The Maurayas||The Mughal Empire|
|UN and International Agencies||Union Government||Vedic Period|
|Water Resources||World History||—|
NTSE English Language Syllabus
There are 8 chapters to be covered in the NTSE 2017 English Language Syllabus.
|One Word Substitution||Paragraph Completion|
|Reading Comprehension||Rearrangement of Jumbled Words|
NTSE General Knowledge Syllabus
There are 6 chapters to be covered in the NTSE 2017 General Knowledge Syllabus
|Abbreviations||Awards and Recognitions|
|Books and Authors||India|
NTSE Mental Ability Syllabus
There are 20 chapters to be covered in the NTSE 2017 Mental Ability Syllabus
|Alphabets and Number test||Analogy(Non-Verbal)|
|Calendar, Time and Clock||Classification|
|Coding-Decoding||Cube and Dice|
|Direction Sense||Embedded Figure|
|Figure Partition and Dot Situation||Mathematical Operations|
|Missing Character||Paper Folding and Cutting|
|Ranking and Arrangements||Series (Verbal)|
|Water and Mirror Images||